Sunday, September 30, 2012

Public Library Work - Thoughts?

          I start working tomorrow at a Public Library (details and writing will come in the future); I am making a transition from technical services to patron services. This will involve fewer interactions with varied software (just used in a different way) and increased interactions with people.

          I am curious what people really think about their respective public library jobs? This question is not meant to cover ALL the experiences nor thoughts people have, nor every task that is part of daily needs at each person's respective branch.

          One dire facet of contemporary life in public libraries has been the way budget cuts and the economy in the late 2000s has affected services, hours of operation and libraries' ability to acquire new materials across formats. My job in part has come about, I believe, because of the library system's ability to expand hours and thus increase the number of staff possible -  an event for which I am rather grateful. So, I am interested in answers to my query that reflect the changing state of your respective public libraries and what you think about your jobs relative to the affects of the economic struggles of late. These changes I know alter who is in charge, what can be offered and other factors. And sometimes these changes can be positive.

          Anyway, please do say what you think. You can reply here or @ Twitter.

          Thank you.

No comments: