Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Bicycle Commuting Coach

I have been riding my bike in all kinds of towns - Chicago, beach towns and in Washington D.C. Each space is different, each place has a slightly varied culture in how it reacts to and "allows" bicycle transportation. DC certainly has its own plan, as well as do Maryland and Virginia - the two states between which is sandwiched The District. I like to ride my bike and put in an average of 150 miles weekly. Have no fear, this summer will see an increase in those mile counts. The point is that I have gained experience riding and very much am an advocate of commuting via bicycle. But sometimes it takes encouragement and just a little advice to work it out. This might mean the rider has questions about clothing for all types of weather or does not feel comfortable with negotiating a certain type of intersection. 

Sometimes it only takes one time to ride with an encouraging person to "get" the ways of bicycle commuting. It's such a fun activity and need not be scary.  Right now, and through this summer at least, I am making myself available as a Bicycle Commuting Coach on a per-contract basis. This just means that for a small fee, I will advise on clothing, lighting, picking routes and bicycle technique so that each rider can improve their bicycle commuting skills and have more fun as their overall confidence grows.

Thank you. 

Jesse. 
E-mail me: JL.taglich(at)yahoo(dot)com


PS: I am curious how people find this post. I am asking that whomever comes to this post, even if you don't need my services, that you leave a comment on the page or send an e-mail about the path you took to get here. Thanks so much.


1 comment:

Alex said...

Interesting idea. It might have helped when I first started commuting, but I did figure it out eventually. I had to work up the distance gradually since it had been so long since I had ridden a bike - I drove almost all the way to work at first, and then rode about a mile. I did have the foresight to get a folding bike, so at least the car to bike transition was pretty seamless. But now I am riding the whole way (most days), and it's the best part of my day by far.