Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Hauntology

Right now, there are all kinds of - ology names in America. Drinkology, Mixology, Lightology to name a few. It's amusing. "Hauntology" is one of these. It's good to know I am amidst a popular swell. But what is this science of hauntings? I mean to work out this "science" for my whole life. And not with a method that tracks ghosts either. My science follows the eternal return, that damnable stuff we think we can get rid of but which comes right back in the future (near or far). I can not scrutinize the abyss too close though because it would be like trying to look into an ever-burning cauldron. I am able to glance and peek. I can even see something maybe. But uncertainty reigns in the return. I glance and declare my observations. But the scary stuff is that I can't keep my hands or eyes on the object. There is no object. It leaves me and returns anew to be seen again. Spiritual maybe. Again, I glance and grasp, but it is really me who is being held.

No comments: